Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Why did I create this blog?

So Samantha and I finally decided we were tired of PCs. We wanted to be on the other side of the fence. Samantha is a big fan of the Mac and has practical experience with them. I have tried Ubuntu before but have never really left the Microsoft camp. Well, I am not in the .NET camp. I am very much a Java evangelist. Have been for some years now. In 2007, I installed Ubuntu inside a VMWare Server Virtual Machine on my Windows Vista box. I took this server down a few months ago when I decided that Windows Vista pretended like it was this ancient car trundling along with Ubuntu in a hot desert road.
Well, I am now going to have my own all-Ubuntu system on an older Dell Laptop. This time, it will not be on VMWARE or Sun VirtualBox. As it turns out, Samantha handed me this Jaunty Jackelope CD from work and requested me to install it on her laptop. I said, "Well, let's take her out for a whirl and see what we can do". Samantha's Dell Laptop is a venerable old lady from Dell. She has seen much better days. Lately Windows and our own ways have been wearing her down. It looks like she won't hold up for much longer. And I ended up installing Ubuntu on her laptop.
So going back to why I created this blog, I draw upon my thinking in the earlier paragraphs and my own leanings with Java Technology in general. This is a blog that will record what I think will be useful to at least some in the technology community and some in the non-technology community (there are some people in the past who use computers but have loudly declared " I hate computers..ha ha" ).

In my next article I will tell readers how I got Ubuntu to work with Wireless.

No comments:

Post a Comment